Do you use a UV filter as protection?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Velocity of Sound
Velocity of Sound Contributing Member • Posts: 891
Agree on clear filters over UV

Modern cameras reportedly have a UV-blocking filter installed at the sensor level, so you don't need a UV-blocking filter. A multi-coated clear filter is all that you need, and reportedly might do less to degrade the image or block light transmission. I favor the B+W nano clear filters, but of course there are other brands that are just fine, too.

In general filters have no noticeable effect on image quality, but I had two instances where that wasn't the case:

1) With the old Sigma 50-500mm. Images were improved pretty noticeably without the filter on. It was already considered somewhat finicky for image quality at the 500mm end, so I figure it was just more sensitive. I never tested to see if a different filter would have been better.

2) With a Hoya alpha filter that came with a used lens that I bought. Images were almost never sharp and always appeared out of focus with that filter on; taking the filter off, and then replacing it with another, rectified the situation. I'm still not sure what happened with that filter...

Velocity of Sound's gear list:Velocity of Sound's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm GFX 50S Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow