Who has both Olympus 12-100mm and 40-150mm f2.8?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Velocity of Sound
Velocity of Sound Contributing Member • Posts: 800
Subject isolation

Terrible Photographer wrote:

In my mind, the 12-100 is great when you just want one lens that’s super sharp and you don’t need subject isolation.

This one is a bit relative and also depends on personal preference, but I must say I was surprised by how well the 12-100mm handles subject isolation.  I find that from around 40mm and longer (even maybe 35mm and longer), even though it's f/4 there is still pretty good subject isolation.  The background isn't blurred into pure colors, of course, but the sheer sharpness of the lens contributes to making it very obvious what the subject of focus is, and what's out of focus.  And once the focal lengths get even longer - say 70mm and up - the background blurs out pretty well.

It's not my preferred portrait lens, but I've always been pleased when I found myself using it for that purpose.

Velocity of Sound's gear list:Velocity of Sound's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm GFX 50S Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow