Who has both Olympus 12-100mm and 40-150mm f2.8?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,452
Re: Who has both Olympus 12-100mm and 40-150mm f2.8?

Minolta_A2 wrote:

Just curious if anyone chose to keep both lenses.

I have 12-100mm f4.0. I'm 110% satisfied with it.
Then there is 40-150mm f2.8 Pro. The lens that I WAS equally interested in.
To me, the difference in focal length between the two lenses is not significant enough to buy another. However, I understand the difference between f2.8 and f4.0 is still meaningful.

If you have both of them and chose to keep both, I want to hear about your experience, something that numbers and specs can't tell. Or if you chose to sell either one after experiencing both, which one did you keep? What was the reason?

Thanks in advance.

That’s a hard one.  I also am not about to part.

40-150 perfect images, heavy, internal focusing/zoom, no IS

12-100 very good, lighter, lens extends, has IS.

I will always pick internal focusing if I had a choice.  The 12-100 comes over as a very capable lens and well deserves it.  But the 40-150 comes over as an engineering masterpiece when only the best will do.  Too close to call - that is why if you do somehow have both then they are both hard to part with.

But for those just looking for a capable good value lens the first time around then the 12-100 has a lot going for it.  But it does extend like pinocchio’s nose - if that is no worry then there are no worries.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow