Who has both Olympus 12-100mm and 40-150mm f2.8?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
drmarkf Contributing Member • Posts: 500
Re: Who has both Olympus 12-100mm and 40-150mm f2.8?

Most of my photography these days is travel/street, hiking/landscape, and wildlife.

The 12-100 is extremely versatile for travel (maybe too versatile, since restricting choices definitely works better sometimes!) but I always take a fast midrange prime as well, since I like something with lower visual impact for street.

Again the 12-100 is perfect for hiking - you don’t have to worry about changing lenses in wind and rain, and I find I’ve done a lot more telephoto landscapes since getting it. The limited aperture is entirely irrelevant for this application, and not having to carry a tripod unless I’m planning to do very long shutter speed shots (eg waterfalls) is an absolute game changer.

I've got 2 M1ii bodies, and various combinations of the 12-100, 40-150 and 300 work brilliantly for different wildlife applications. For example, on safari game drives I have all 3, plus 2 MC 14s, and switch between them as light levels and shooting distances vary. You definitely need to get down to 12mm for ‘environmental’ bush images and depending on density of scrub the 40-150 is often an ideal range. It’s a great advantage to be able to fit such a wide focal length range in such light kit - some bush flights have a total 15kg luggage limit.

drmarkf's gear list:drmarkf's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Sony a7S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow