Do you use a UV filter as protection?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,739
Re: Do you use a UV filter as protection?

nosiesta wrote:

What's the current thinking on using a decent UV filter to protect the lens outer element?

Always. Inevitably I get fingerprints on the filter instead of the lens. Dust, mist and whatnot is easy to clean off.

I always have in the past but just picked up a new lens and am debating it now. Obviously the quality of the lens is only going to be as good as the filter glass it's shooting through.

I do a lot of rock climbing so the chance of a scratch is higher than normal.

In the past I've always gone for a B+W UV (never a Skylight). Hoods add bulk and are faff (yep, I know they held with contrast and flare etc)

I use these: B+W XS-Pro UV Haze MRC-Nano 010M Filter

B+W #900 Folding Rubber Lens Hoods work well (open and close easily) and add a nice rubber bumper for extra protection.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11153-REG/B_W_65069607_58mm_Screw_In_Folding_Rubber.html/mode/edu

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +33 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow