Any Sony HX99 owners?

Started Jul 3, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NorCal Jim
NorCal Jim Regular Member • Posts: 456
Any Sony HX99 owners?

I'm looking for comments from any Sony HX99 owners since I am interested in the feedback from those who have used this camera.

I realize that I am asking this in a forum filled with enthusiasts who are using RX10/RX100 series cameras and have high standards for photo quality.  My reason for asking about the Sony HX99 is connected to my choice of an RX100M5.

I should explain.  I am making some changes to my camera gear.  I'll skip the long story and just say that I am invested in two ILC formats (Sony APS-C & MFT).  I originally chose a Sony a6000 due to its PDAF and have invested in additional cameras and lenses since.  Although I really like the Sony equipment, I have much more enjoyment from my Olympus MFT equipment.  I particularly enjoy the 5-axis IBIS and the direct control capability of my EM5ii & Pen-F.  I finally admitted to myself that the Sony equipment will just continue to sit on the shelf unused and it's time to make a change.  I didn't want to give up Sony's PDAF and see that I don't have to if I got an RX100M5.

So how does the Sony HX99 fit with my plans?  I have spent hours reading/watching reviews on the RX100M5 & M6 trying to decide which to choose.  I have had plenty of experience with the RX100M3 in the past and do not want to give up any low light performance and the f/1.8 - f/2.8 max aperture range.  Video is also important and I do not want to give up the ND filter nor do I want a work-around filter attachment.  The touch to focus and 200mm reach of the the M6 is attractive but not worth sacrificing the brighter lens and ND filter.

Spending hours studying the M6 and thinking about its focal length left me wondering about alternatives.  Yesterday morning while making breakfast, I had my iPad on the counter playing a YouTube video that showed an older video with one of the RX100 series cameras (think it was the M4) paired with a Sony HX90 (30x zoom). It took awhile, but the thought of a super zoom compact (720mm optical zoom & 1400mm with digital zoom) in a camera with a similar form factor as the RX100 series with a Zeiss lens and loaded with features (including 4K video), started to appeal to me the more I thought about it.  This camera has Sony's newer sensor and processor technology and includes eye AF.

I've watched some YouTube videos and seen some sample photos and video and the quality looks very good (not great, but perfectly acceptable).  I see the prospect of acquiring the Sony HX99 as giving me comparable quality with a good cell phone camera but with a 24-720mm optical focal length.  I also see this potential acquisition as a specialty camera like a Go Pro or drone camera.  Unlike the Sony HX90, the HX99 can shoot RAW and has a control ring like the RX100 series.

Frequently, I find myself presented with a photo or video opportunity requiring a greater range than my phone can provide (like a gathering of wild turkeys that would have dispersed at a closer approach).  This would be a perfect application for the HX99.

Thanks!

Jim

NorCal Jim's gear list:NorCal Jim's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Sony a5100 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F +14 more
Canon EOS M6 Olympus PEN-F Sony a6000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow