Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,083
Re: No...

Mako2011 wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

As you stated earlier, "while ISO doesn't change the amount of light the sensor collects",... only by changing the shutter speed and/or aperture and or scene luminance is more/less light let in

I'm sorry, you do get there is such as a thing as a correct exposure (I am pretty certain)? .

I was only speaking to the fact that the ISO setting doesn't really change the amount of light the sensor collects. What constitutes "Correct" exposure can be unrelated. As an example.... take the same high DR scene and two photographers. One shooting UNI-WB and the other not. Both exposures will be "correct" but very different actual exposure settings

...or ETTR, but whatever you do if you halve the ISO you'll be able to collect more light (as the usable sensor saturation will increase).

No because as you stated before ...."ISO doesn't change the amount of light the sensor collects".

The ISO amplifier is part of the sensor, and while you can say the pixels collect the same amount of light the sensor doesn't as ever more of it gets nuked on the sensor as ISO increases and so is not available for photography. You only care about the light you can use for photography in this context (using a faster lens to reduce noise).

So yes the pixels collect the same amount of data, I've said this a number of times in the past, when it was relevant. However if there is no way to use most of it then it doesn't matter when answering the OP's question.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
MAC
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow