M50 + Godox TT350c + HSS = strips on picture

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Myrgjorf Regular Member • Posts: 383
Compatibility issue: M50 + Godox TT350c + HSS = strips on picture

joel_carvajal wrote:

Good day!

I just bought a Godox TT350c for my Canon EOS M50.

M50 firmware = v1.0.2

TT350c firmware = 1.7 (updated to try to fix problem)

Problem:

When I do HSS, the resulting picture has stripes on it all over.

Aperture = f/2.0

Shutter Speed = 1/4000

Metering = E-TTL II

Synch = HSS

I read somewhere that the M50 always use Electronic First Curtain Shutter, similar to what caused this banding in the Sony Mirrorless.

But I've previously used Canon 430ex II and 270ex II on it on HSS and there were no bandings at all.

How do I fix this?

The banding is due to the burst of flashes is not distributed evenly enough during exposure.

You have to understand HSS to understand why you get banding. With HSS the shutter is never opened completely at any time. So the flash has to issue a burst of flashes during shutter movement with an extreme precision. I can't really understand how it can be done without banding and apparently the TT350c can't. Also note that most of the flash light is lost with HSS so only use HSS when you need it (you don't with this type of photo). I have never used HSS at 1/4000 so I don't know how my original Canon flashes will behave in that situation.

-- hide signature --

Oh no! He should know by now that "equivalence" is a forbidden word for APS-C but perfectly allowed for 1” Sonys, compact cameras, smartphones and maybe even for M43s.

Myrgjorf's gear list:Myrgjorf's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS M50 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow