Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,079
Re: And

Mako2011 wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

But will you agree that as ISO increases there is no way to access that light so no one cares?

I was only pointing out "The ISO setting doesn't change the amount of light the sensor collects"

I'm sure I said that above,

You started with the opposite though

My first post said:
"It only helps if you can reduce the ISO, which changes how much light you collect to give a correct exposure."

And I pointed out ISO setting alone does not change how much light is collected...only scene luminance, shutter speed and aperture affect the amount of light collected

No, you misunderstand what that sentence is saying. It's saying that for a "correct exposure" the camera (or you if you meter manually) will let in the same light if the ISO stays the same, regardless of lens, when you reduce the ISO it will let in more light (because it can use more of the sensor's capacity as less is clipped, although it's the same for film).

It's talking about how the ISO controls what shutter speed and aperture the camera will choose for a particular scene luminance.

For example if it is Ev10 (Twilight)
At ISO 400 and f/2 the camera will select 1/1000th, the sensor will get amount of light X
At ISO 400 and f/1.4 the camera will select 1/2000th, the sensor will get amount of light X
At ISO 100 and f/2 the camera will select 1/250 and the sensor will get amount of light 4X

You can manually select an exposure that isn't "correct" per exposure maths, but either you get less light and more noise or more light and risk getting lost highlights.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
MAC
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow