6D MKII Focus question

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,242
Re: Contrast, Contrast, CONTRAST!!!

1Dx4me wrote:

MarshallG wrote:

i use single focus point all the time, especially for birding, and i don't see any issue with it! as soon as you connect it to the target, it can be very accurate, IMO.

one thing that helps me is to press the shutter button half way a few times and then press it all the way down and take the photo! as i am sure you know this, pressing the shutter button beeps and confirms the "Focus" and ready to shoot with accurate focus.

You are describing One Shot (Single) Focus Mode, not Servo (Continuous) Mode. For a continuously moving horse, the Servo Mode is better.

There are times when a single point is the only way to go, but in shots like these, the horse is fairly low intrastate (unless you get in tighter). The single point can fail to find contrast. When you use several points, the central point is still prioritized, if it can attain focus. You should try this sometime and see.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow