Best low light FF Canon DSLR

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,079
Re: turn...

Mako2011 wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

It never changes the amount of light you can collect. As an example....blank wall lit by constant artificial light. Set camera on tripod at f2 and 1/60s in MANUAL EXPOSURE mode. Notice that regardless of what ISO setting you select...the sensor never captures more or less light. How the resulting image looks may change...but the amount of light captured by the sensor never ever does. The ISO setting has no effect on the Full Well Capacity nor the min charge an individual pixel can hold

I think my view is the more useful one here,

The original view/statement, "ISO affected amount of light collected", was not accurate though and could lead many astray.

..as while ISO doesn't change the amount of light the sensor collects

And that's a big 180 from your original premise. And leads to much more useful theory. Glad you see the "Light". It helps others.

And don't forget, sometimes a change in ISO results in nothing more than the camera processing engine raising or lowering the brightness setting...a pure digital only manipulation that could be done just as well had one used Light Room to change "ISO"

No, sorry, I'm sticking with my original premise.

So above you say "ISO doesn't change the amount of light the sensor collects"...

and now you are saying "ISO does change the amount of light the sensor collect"?

I'm sorry, what don't you get that while the sensor captures the the same amount of light at higher ISO there is no way to access the data that so no-one cares?

As ISO increases you capture less light in the Real World.

No....A factually inaccurate statement. Try it. Blank wall lit by constant artificial light. Set camera on tripod at f2 and 1/60s in MANUAL EXPOSURE mode (Shoot RAW). Notice that regardless of what ISO setting you select...the sensor never captures more or less light. You can open the files in RawDigger and confirm the amount of light captured did not changes you increase ISO setting

Really not, as the ISO amplifier blows the data off the top of the range AND IT ISN'T IN the Raw file!!! You are wrong here as the Raw file is captured after the ISO amplifier and so a bunch of stuff will be clipped and lost. See the 6D saturation numbers I gave. They are for Raw files!

The fact that the sensor captures the same amount of light is irrelevant as there is no way to access that data. So it's no use to anyone.

Not true....Many of use often shoot RAW in an ISO-less ETTR workflow (often using UniWB) from time to time. Pretty easy to access all the data

Err, most of the canon camera mentioned are crap for shooting ISO-less as they aren't ISO-less except at ISOs 800 or 1600 and above (I went into detail on that). Plus you weren't talking about ISO-invariance before (where you don't get an image to review)?

Shooting ISO-invariant for any ISO below 800 will just be a noise-fest on off-sensor ADC Canon cameras. That isn't what the OP wanted.

 Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
MAC
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow