Best low light FF Canon DSLR

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,075
Re: Now...

Mako2011 wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

It never changes the amount of light you can collect. As an example....blank wall lit by constant artificial light. Set camera on tripod at f2 and 1/60s in MANUAL EXPOSURE mode. Notice that regardless of what ISO setting you select...the sensor never captures more or less light. How the resulting image looks may change...but the amount of light captured by the sensor never ever does. The ISO setting has no effect on the Full Well Capacity nor the min charge an individual pixel can hold

I think my view is the more useful one here,

The original view/statement, "ISO affected amount of light collected", was not accurate though and could lead many astray.

..as while ISO doesn't change the amount of light the sensor collects

And that's a big 180 from your original premise. And leads to much more useful theory. Glad you see the "Light". It helps others.

And don't forget, sometimes a change in ISO results in nothing more than the camera processing engine raising or lowering the brightness setting...a pure digital only manipulation that could be done just as well had one used Light Room to change "ISO"

No, sorry, I'm sticking with my original premise. As ISO increases you capture less light in the Real World. The fact that the sensor captures the same amount of light is irrelevant as there is no way to access that data. So it's no use to anyone.

It is true that for +/- 1/3 stops a few cameras will do it digitally (I talked about that in a post here) but that's pretty irrelevant when it comes to making much of a difference. (Also at very low or very very high ISOs that may happen too, but really away from what people are likely to be doing in low light.)

I'm going with: "At most useful ISOs doubling ISO halves the amount of light you can capture", since it's what happens... suggesting anything else isn't sensible as it's in such rare special cases.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
MAC
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow