Increasing Flash/Strobe Output without Increasing Power

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
flyinglentris
OP flyinglentris Contributing Member • Posts: 654
Re: Increasing Flash/Strobe Output without Increasing Power

jlafferty wrote:

You bring up a good point and I’m realizing now that my earlier claims might be mistaken… it might be the specifics of my Fresnel at fault as it both has the bulb facing forward, and has a black interior.

Traditional Fresnels have a highly polished silver dish at the back, silver interior, and the bulb sits perpendicular to the output direction. All are likely factors in making them the most efficient modifier possible (focus zoom spot might be similar), even moreso than the long throw Magnum. But I don’t have a Fresnel of that proper design onhand to test.

I am curious at this point to understand why Fresnel lenses like the 5600 Big Eye were designed without a reflector behind the light source and which have the tube vertical and not aligned with the axis of the beam. The photo on the 5600 web site clearly shows this such that the tube is vertical and the behind the lens, it's all black from the canvas cover.

Hmmmm? Why did the engineers do it that way?

If I had to venture a guess, I'd reflect first on their design being able to accommodate any flash unit and then, expect that they also allowed that this design also allowed incorporation of any reflector. In other words, they didn't intend for it to not have a reflector, but intended to allow any strobe with or without reflector to be used. My guess.

But then too, maybe having a reflector will kill the ability to adjust the Fresnel lens.

-- hide signature --

flyinglentris in LLOMA

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow