Increasing Flash/Strobe Output without Increasing Power

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
jlafferty Contributing Member • Posts: 739
Re: Increasing Flash/Strobe Output without Increasing Power

You bring up a good point and I’m realizing now that my earlier claims might be mistaken… it might be the specifics of my Fresnel at fault as it both has the bulb facing forward, and has a black interior.

Traditional Fresnels have a highly polished silver dish at the back, silver interior, and the bulb sits perpendicular to the output direction. All are likely factors in making them the most efficient modifier possible (focus zoom spot might be similar), even moreso than the long throw Magnum. But I don’t have a Fresnel of that proper design onhand to test.

elliotn wrote:

flyinglentris wrote:

elliotn wrote:

flyinglentris wrote:

Again, flash output is NOT increased. Brightness within a smaller area is.

Sure. And more so with a fresnel than with a long throw reflector.

Well, that's really the crux of the arguments here and what the post sought to expose.

Is the Fresnel better than a long throw, a parabolic or some other similar modifier? Which is better and why?

To be honest I don't know, and I don't have the appropriate gear here to test.

Jlafferty might be correct, and a long throw reflector might put more light on the subject.

But I suspect it depends on the fresnel, and how it's set up.

Whilst it's not the same thing, I have a simple torch here (US = flashlight), and when used with its lens (not a fresnel lens) it is 8 stops brighter than when used in bare bulb mode. I can't see any reflector beating that.

-- hide signature --

http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Evocative beats academic.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow