Increasing Flash/Strobe Output without Increasing Power

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
flyinglentris
flyinglentris Contributing Member • Posts: 624
Increasing Flash/Strobe Output without Increasing Power

Flash/Strobe output can surely be ramped up in Watt-Seconds, but there's a reason why lighthouses and airport beacons use Fresnel lenses. The Fresnel lens concentrates the light beam enabling it to extend a greater distance at greater intensity. Alternatively, Parabolic reflectors achieve similar results.

I use Buff E640s and the Buff Beauty Dish is a sort of parabolic reflector. What Buff doesn't allow is a Fresnel lens. I would suppose that many would wish it as the Fresnel lens is going to be more compact than a parabolic reflector. Right? I believe so.

Certainly, parabolic reflectors and Fresnel lenses narrow the emitted light, but they should not be confused with doing the same job that snoots and barn doors do.  And while it is true that overlapping multiple flash/strobe units on the same position can increase intensity, that is not the solution I am looking for here.

I am curious as how I might incorporate at least one Fresnel lens flash into my lighting kit. What would be best? Available mod for the E640 (I don't think it exists)? A specific vendor flash unit? Which would be a best recommend? Keep in mind that this interest is not the same as looking for a cooler LED unit that uses a Fresnel lens to increase output. I'm interested in getting the extra kick to go a greater spatial distance, perhaps, outdoors or just to achieve a brighter spot of lighting in the studio for lower f/ and faster shutter.

-- hide signature --

flyinglentris in LLOMA

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow