Why does Sony have such a dominant market position in the US market

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
EXX Contributing Member • Posts: 974
Re: Sony has been busy

Jnull91 wrote:

I am very disappointed with Sony. I spent a lot of money on a550, a77, then a77m2 and then out came the e-mount cameras and lenses. And here sit the a-mounts.

I’’m too invested in a-mount!

So am I. But this also means that second hand lenses for A-mount are becoming really cheap to buy. Got myself a 50mm F1.7 and 24mm F2.8 for 75 euros a month ago. Saw the really great Minolta 80-200 F2.8 HS APO G offered just below 600 euros.

Sony still supports A-mount. Development cycle of new cameras will be slow, but since A-mount and E-mount cameras share 90% of the hardware, making a new A-mount camera occasionally will not be a big effort for Sony.

On the long run I expect that Sony will find a way to use all the A-mount lenses (including screw driven lenses)  on an E-mount body without loss of performance.

Look at what Nikon did: they introduced the Z-mount and the F-mount screw drive lenses have no AF with the FTZ adapter. Period. Sony did a better job with the LEA4, that at least let you operate the screw drive A-mount lenses with AF.

EXX's gear list:EXX's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
T3
EXX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow