Who would like to see the Oly 17 f/1.8 optically improved

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 4,060
Re: My suggestion ...

jwilliams wrote:

ata3001 wrote:

I bought a new Oly 17mm f/1.8 & find I am really disappointed with it's optical performance when compared with the Oly 12-40 f/2.8 at 17mm. Does Olympus ever update their lenses to improve them? NOT interested in the heavy Oly 17mm f/1.2 lens due to size & weight.

My suggestion is to use the 17 1.8 and your 12-40 2.8 where they work best.

The 17 1.8 is a superb available light lens to use inside for people and gatherings. I've never taken a picture where I found it wanting for sharpness. If the corners aren't sharp I don't know because I don't think I've ever taken a photo where the corners were in focus. I almost always shoot it wide open and it has allowed me for almost all purposes to leave flash photography in the past.

Now if I'm outside taking a landscape shot at 17mm I'll use my 12-40. That lens between about 12-25 is very very good so you're comparing the 17 to some pretty tough competition.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses and really there's not a lot of point comparing them. Now if one is a prime only person doing landscape work I'm sure the 17 is a bit disappointing, but otherwise, it in my opinion is one of the best m43 lenses out there when used in the situations where it excels.

I think that is part of the problem.for some people... they want to say carry just 3 primes that work well in low light and stopped down in bright light for say a landscape... not have to carry another lens, particularly a relatively big and heavy zoom lens, just for getting super sharp landscapes. Having said that, I do think that the differences are more on a PC screen at 200% than in practice with comparison prints.

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow