Linux Users: What is a good LightRoom alternative?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
newmikey Veteran Member • Posts: 4,948
I have learned not to answer such questions

jonhooverphot wrote:

I am wanting to move to Linux and the only thing stopping me is finding an alternative to LightRoom. What do you all recommend?

I am currently checking out DigiKam but I am open to all suggestions.

I have no experience with Lightroom or any other Adobe or Microsoft software but the past 20 years have taught me that people who look for "alternatives" to Windows or Apple software generally look for something as close to a carbon-copy as possible. Usually a recipe for certain disappointment.

Linux is not Windows and Linux software is not an "alternative" to Windows software. For every task you have on a Windows computer, you are literally spoilt with choice on Linux but the philosophy behind the software requires a different thought-process and work approach.

DigiKam is an excellent DAM package if that is what you are looking for, Rawtherapee or Darktable are extremely capable raw processors and Gimp is an extremely powerful 8/16/32-bit pixel-editor with equally capable plugins like GMIC.

You have nothing to lose by trying out various alternatives, either on their own or in tandem to accomplish the tasks you need done. Eventually you'll hit on something that truly works for you. It won't be a mere "Lightroom alternative" but a different, cheaper and better way of working.

newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +3 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow