How I Got my $3500 Camera Kit Stolen on KitSplit for $70

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: Deposit?

Aaron801 wrote:

Unless I'm missing something it seems that a system like this ought to put a charge on the renter's card for the value of the gear as a deposit. When the gear is returned the deposit is refunded... or something like that.

I've rented gear a few times from a local camera shop and though I can't quite remember what steps I had to go through, I'm pretty sure that putting a deposit on my card was one of them.

Sorry that the police aren't doing anything for you. I might keep bugging them to see if that's what it might take for them to act. I'd also be looking at Craigslist and other sales type sights (and camera stores, pawn shops, etc). If you see your gear you could arrange some sort of sting operation. Short of that, since you have the guy's address I'd think about staking his place out for a bit and confronting him. Bring a few friends maybe and/or a baseball bat... Strong measures, I know but in my mind worth risking for the amount of money that you lost...

Absolutely spot-on. They [Split-Kit] would then know that the card was active and the renter could cover the cost if necessary. They should take a charge for the value of the kit rather than just the rental, and cash all it if the kit was not returned on time.

Having said that, I would never rent my kit out even with all the precautions and insurance in place.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow