How I Got my $3500 Camera Kit Stolen on KitSplit for $70

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 7,346
Re: Perpetrator's image

Chaplain Mark wrote:

YohahN wrote:

I redacted the perpetrator's image for safety reasons. It was specifically requested by Jane, the other owner who got her gear stolen from the same renter as I since the perpetrator has both our addresses.

Also the police won't do anything even if I handed them this person's I.D., address, and gave them a pot of gold.

They consider this a civil case rather than a straightforward crime and are not interested or invested at all.

Of course the police are not interested in this matter; no crime was committed as no coercion or violence was part of the "transaction."

Certainly it was/is a moral offense, a civil tort perhaps, but not a police matter.

Your idea of 'crime' and 'theft' are very different to mine. Your moral compass appears as much askew as the thief's.

It is not specifically 'theft' because the camera gear was handed over to the thief voluntarily. It is a type of theft call 'fraud' in most cases, which amounts to the same thing in the end and is just as serious. Theft is theft no matter what sub-sector it falls under.

I'm not surprised that the police will not investigate. Too much work for them when they know that the magistrates will punish it, if ever the thief is actually caught and convicted, by a little slap on the wrist like community service or similar.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow