Who would like to see the Oly 17 f/1.8 optically improved

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Carol T Contributing Member • Posts: 796
Re: Who would like to see the Oly 17 f/1.8 optically improved

Rich K wrote:

That has been my experience. I feel it is overpriced and has options I don't want or use (the pull-back focus ring) and of course has an overpriced fancy hood. I think it was one of the early lens designs, and fell heavily into the hipster nostalgia phase. I paid the price to get one because I wanted a 35mm equivalent, and there is nothing else. But yeah, I find the output uninspiring.

I had a chuckle when I read the "hipster nostalgia" comment. At the ripe old age of 71, I had not particularly thought about being dropped into the hipster segment.

I totally understand that the lens is not for you, but perhaps that's the whole point. The lens was initially introduced along with the EP5 and sold as a kit. For some, that's a wonderful combination for evening walkabout; small, unobtrusive and plenty of capability. Does it provide the same capability as my EM52 with the 12-35/2.8 (or the 12-40/2.8)? Well, of course not. But the size and weight are so significantly different, it's not really a comparison that's relevant to me. And that manual focus ring - a lovely little feature when things are really dim and focus is critical. Pull it back, use focus peaking and voila!

Your mileage obviously does vary,

Rich, aging hipster in Reno

To me, it looks like it was meant to mimic an old-school rangefinder lens. That interests me not in the least, but I feel that added a lot of cost and detracted some usefulness.

I don't really get the pull-back thing. When shooting AF-S, I use AF-S + Manual (or whatever Olympus calls it, don't have my camera in front of me). All I have to do turn the focus ring, no pulling back required.

At least it is better than the 12/2, which is one of the worst gear choices I have ever made. Massively expensive (plus hood, natch~), and at least in my copy, the pull-back focus works in steps, not continuously. I rarely shoot even landscapes that wide, and have only used it a few times. But it comes from the same time, when Olympus was introducing the overpriced, under-performing retro lenses.

I *am* happy that you are financially comfortable, though, that makes me smiles.

And hopefully you love living in Reno, and in Nevada. I know a lot of people do.

Carol, aging non-hipster in rural flyover country

Edit: OMG, I am such an idiot, lol. I thought you meant you were rich, just realized that is your name. Doh! (rolls eyes at self) I hope you are financially comfortable as well as being named Rich, lol.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow