Macro Lens Decision help wanted.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Papi Picante
Papi Picante Junior Member • Posts: 28
Macro Lens Decision help wanted.

Hi

I have looked at my setup thoroughly looked at a bunch of options and am now just at a loss as to what would result in the best pictures. I will attempt to keep it as short as possible...

What I have in terms of gear my two bodies are Olympus OMD E-M1 and a Canon 5D Mark II.

On the Olympus side I have the 40-150mm f2.8Pro as a candidate for a Raynox DCR-5320PRO High Definition Macro Conversion lens.

I normally would not think of something like this as a permanent or pro solution but the folks over at extrememacro.com seem to have a lot of faith in the product and the shots they are getting are very good. The other two reasons that this seems like a good idea is the image stabilization is built into the body and the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 Pro is a killer lens and I love it to death. With the Raynox lens, my 40-150mm and my Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 Pro I would be covered for an incredible range of shooting. Down side I don't want to invest any more money into M43 right now.

On the Canon side I could go with one of the well know older manual lenses such as the Kiron 105mm Macro f2.8 Slightly different but of similar quality Vivatar Series 1 105mm f2.5. These can be had for about $600 Canadian off eBay. There is also the Tokina AT-X 90mm f/ 2.5 Macro Lens + Extender. These go for about $400+ Canadian on eBay.  My main hesitation with them is the 100mm length. I would much prefer the 180mm range from my subject and that lands me square at the Canon 180mm f3.5 Macro L and they go for #900+ Canadian on eBay.

Quite a mouth full there. Anyone have any opinions on the above options? The Canon 180mm keeps my money out of M43 but is investing in EF mount much better at this point? It too is a dying mount.  Thanks for any ideas.

Mike

Papi Picante's gear list:Papi Picante's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow