Started Jun 26, 2019 | Questions thread
OP samdesignsthat New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Multiple Options for a First Lens paired with a Sony A7iii

bsas wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

bsas wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

dkloi wrote:

Get the Tamron 28-75mm/2.8 to start off as your only lens, then add to that when you get the funds and know what you need to supplement the zoom. Can't think you would be able to effectively cover all the things you mention (short films, some medium sized event coverage in both photo and video, and the casual street/travel photography) with a single prime.

A somewhat more expensive alternative which may or may not be in the OP's budget is the 24-105G - it's a solid lens. Slower, but more versatile as far as zoom ranges.

The OP also mentions using Canon bodies in the past - the question then is:

1) What Canon glass do they have

2) Does their budget for a new body/glass assume selling the old Canon gear, or is that still around?

The OP might be well served by a Metabones if they have a strong Canon glass investment.

I honestly would never get the Metabones and I would get the Sigma MC-11 for $150 (very common deal that comes and goes) instead. Metabones is overpriced and I honestly think that the Sigma is the perfect Canon adapter, and works better.

Metabones officially supports non-SGV lenses. Sigma does not.

It's as simple as that. If you cheap out by using an adapter in a non-intended configuration, you WILL pay the consequences - like anyone who relied on "incompatible lens fallback" and accidentally flashed firmware 1.05 - they were hosed for more than 1-2 months, and for the majority of that time, Sigma tech support was telling anyone that complained about the 1.05 regressions, "We don't support that, so tough luck".

Metabones, on the other hand, has almost ZERO risk of getting stuck with a firmware update regression breaking you, because they officially support reverting firmware in these scenarios and now provide EVERY firmware release from the preceding two years with any current firmware download. They'll also treat a report of a regression as a valid bug report, unlike Sigma who will ignore complaints of regressions in "unsupported" functionality until the Internet whining gets loud enough.

OK, you prefer Metabones, I prefer Sigma MC-11, and I understand your reasoning. I am not "cheaping out", I tested BOTH with my EF lenses and the Sigma just worked better, then I sold my Metabones.

I also understand that Metabones "must" somehow support multiple lenses and Sigma is just required to support Sigma lenses, so, if this is an issue for you, I can understand that too.

But, again, going back to the OP, I would NEVER suggest adapting lenses as my "first lens" for a Sony camera. Get a native lens and explore all that the camera can do.

If you DO have a bunch of EF glass already, OK, get the adapter. But buying an EF adapter to "buy" and EF lens sounds reverse logic for me. If you want to use EF lenses in a mirrorless system, just get the Canon R stuff (that requires to be 100% compatible by factory, even better than Metabones).

Again, don't go for adapters unless you ALREADY have the legacy glass. It is counter-productive...

I got so overwhelmed by the fast answers; thank you so much everyone!

Let me provide some context: I only own a Canon 50mm 1.8, which I mostly use on rented Canon APS-C bodies or my 35mm analog Canon. Comparing prices with adapters, it didn't seem wise to grab a Metabones or the Sigma adapter, when I can get a cheaper prime for about the same price.

I've only used a 50mm on a full frame body in a project a couple of years ago, everything other than that was on cropped sensors. Thus my inclination toward an 85mm. What got me considering primes vs zoom was: quality and punchiness of the color, sharpness, wide aperture and native auto focus that Sony/Zeiss lenses provide

For most of the situations I find myself in, I have the space to move around and get closer (or further) to my subject, which sort of invalidates the premise of a zoom. I also find that 2.8 might be too slow for my personal taste. I've done enough projects on a Canon kit lens to realize I would end up between 25 and 35mm cropped most of the time, making the 40 to 50mm my "standard".

Essentially, narrowed it down to:

1. Zeiss 55mm
    Nifty fifty focal length and what seems to be the gold standard for Sony quality.
  2. Batis 40mm
    The close focus feature is what got me the most, in addition to everything this series already provides. From what I've seen online, it's a good compromise between 35 and 55mm, and it seems to be actually closer to what our eyes can perceive in the real word opposed to 50mm.
  3. Batis 85mm
    Same praise for its features as the 40mm, but considered due to the fact I've been using a 50mm on cropped sensors.
  4. Sony 50mm
    This would be the Sony equivalent to my Canon, but I haven't seen reviews/footage on this one as much as the ones mentioned above.

I'm gravitating toward the 40mm and then building the 18mm + 40mm + 85mm combo, as it would cover everything. Super 35 mode would also be an option for video if needed. Thoughts?

Thank you so much once again!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow