Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,914
Re: Missing lenses: wide angle autofocus prime

magnesus3 wrote:

gary0319 wrote:

Luke Forrest wrote:

iano wrote:

Currently there are so many solutions for 12mm lenses it is crazy, but only a few quite large zooms that go any wider, plus some 3rd party manual focus lenses.

Who else would like a 6 or 7 or 8 mm prime with autofocus?

Don't really think you need autofocus on a lens that wide. The laowa 7.5mm f2 covers that range and is small and light. A 10mm f2 on the other hand would be nice.

I had high hopes for the Laowa 7.5mm, but unfortunately the copy I received was unable to get sharp focus on foreground objects. I suspect this was an individual copy problem, but I ended up swapping it for the Olympus 8mm 1.8 fisheye Pro, which is autofocus,

I'd quite like to see a new 20mm lens. I'd welcome a 1.4 version with better autofocus.

I'd also like to see something like a Leica 35-140mm 2.8-4. The Olympus 40-150 is too big and the Panasonic 35-100 2.8 range is a little short. It would make an excellent pairing with the 8-18.

Must have been your copy. I consider my Laowa 7.5 to be a bit better than my 7-14 Pro, less flare and a bit more uniform sharpness (worse vignetting though and the distortion isn't autocorrected). Love how small it is since I mostly do travel photography.

Yes, I do believe it was my copy, only. However as would happen the Olympus trade up sale came on and I returned the Laowa to my dealer and popped for the Olympus 8mm for a couple of hundred more.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow