Photo-manipulations vs. photography

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
Dan Hudson
Dan Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 1,129
Re: Photo-manipulations vs. photography

Personally, I am not looking for reality. I use my camera and my digital darkroom to produce something I like. Reality versus changing dof, vibrance, sharpness and composition are fun things for an artist to manipulate under the spectrum of photography. To capture reality does not require one once of artistic ability.

To some of us the camera is a tool, not an instrument of limitation. Why can't the results of our efforts in the use of photographic tools rate as photographs whether copied, created or recreated? At worst can we call a combination of edits and creations using photographic tools and images a collage instead of a photograph? Even so, I understand what some are thinking....let's differentiate between absolute photographic reality (no manipulation) and a touch of artistry (visual manipulation) to achieve whatever goal.

Seems, purpose is the idea that decides what name an image gets...."photography" or "art". Would be nice to have both on the same plate except maybe in extreme cases. Some of us have no need to be identified as a photographer to justify our photographic efforts. I like the pure and I also like the so called contaminated. The level of like depends on the results to me. Who really cares the level of purity? If I used a camera in the process, it is photography, at least in a broader sense.....Dan

If someone photographed a sheet of music and then was able to through whatever processes he designed, convert that visual image into sound, we would call it a photograph of sound.

-- hide signature --

Christian Amateur Photographer
Choose life's involvements carefully with an eye toward eternity.

Dan Hudson's gear list:Dan Hudson's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX120 IS Canon EOS M50
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow