How I Got my $3500 Camera Kit Stolen on KitSplit for $70

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,202
Re: Not a crime?

sybersitizen wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

YohahN wrote:

They consider this a civil case rather than a straightforward crime and are not interested or invested at all.

Of course the police are not interested in this matter; no crime was committed as no coercion or violence was part of the "transaction."

Failure to return a rented item is not a crime where you live? If you live in California, where your profile says you live, it could be classified as a form of theft by larceny or theft by false pretense or theft by trick, depending on the details, and all are crimes. The type of crime under discussion here would be classified as grand theft due to the dollar value.

Also, there's at least one other completely different way in which this could be considered a criminal matter. Suppose the OP and the alleged renter of his gear were acting in collusion all along. Suppose no actual rental (and no actual disappearance of gear) occurred, and now the OP is attempting to defraud KitSplit by claiming a loss and seeking compensation for it. As outside observers, police organizations could only discover such a thing by initiating an investigation. That is, after all, their job.

Something seems amiss. At a minimum, why don’t they bang the credit card for the value of the gear until it’s returned, and make that part of the agreement? ($X per day, or full value of the equipment + 15% if not received in 30 days)?

Hertz rents cars all day long and I can’t believe it’s legal to keep a rental car.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow