Photo-manipulations vs. photography

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
Krav Maga
Krav Maga Senior Member • Posts: 2,867
Re: Photo-manipulations vs. photography

mamallama wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Dictionary definition:

Photograph: representing nature and human beings with exactness.

Scene representation does not need to include color. The early photographs were all black and white or sepia and white.

Using that definition, even using a lens filter would render a photograph as not being a photograph.

Using a lens filter is an attempt to obtain a better representation of the scene, not an attempt to misrepresent the scene.

The photographic process is not perfect but its purpose is to obtain an exact representation of the scene as the photographic capability allows. Deliberate attempts to misrepresent the scene is what deviates from being a real photograph. That distinction makes it clear what is a photograph and what is art based on the photographic process. Can some photo art be passed off as a photograph? Yes. But that does not change any definitions.

Goalpost moved.

-- hide signature --

I feel more like I do now than I did before ...
https://www.danielmedley.com

Krav Maga's gear list:Krav Maga's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow