Olympus Om-d off-camera flash without triggering built-in flash?

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
filigranen New Member • Posts: 15
Olympus Om-d off-camera flash without triggering built-in flash?

Hi!

I am a new proud owner of an E-m10 mk II, and I have a question regarding the flash. Been using an EOS 400d before, but never used any flash besides the built in one so not sure how this master/slave/commander thing works.

I'm trying to Google this but unclear what it all means (TTL, manual, slave, RF/RC etc), and what I need to solve my problem:

Is it possible to fire off a wireless flash (slave?) without using the on-camera Flash at the same time?

In my mind I would attach something (transmitter) to the hot shoe, and it would instead of firing built in flash send signal to the wireless flash (slave) and it would fire off. Then I could just place it nearby and it would light up the scene enough. Possible? What words should I google for?

Trying not to blind the kids indoor, but still be able to use a diffuse flash up at the ceiling to keep ISO down in the evenings. Too bad the built-in isn't tiltable upwards, that might have worked satisfactory. I still want to be lightweight and portable, so using a mounted flash feels bulky. Although I would have to carry the flash with me if I go somewhere but home, so it would have to be small.

Perhaps it would work to attach a flash to the hot shoe and just use that, but they all seem almost as big as the camera itself (which makes sense as they need to do a good job), and if I shoot portrait it would not bounce on the ceiling...

Is there a smarter way to solve my take-pictures-of-fast-kids-without-good-light-dilemma?

Wow, this got longer than intended.

Also, awesome forum/site, tons of useful information and great tips!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 400D (EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS Kiss Digital X) Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow