Why is daylight WB so blue on the D750? Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Kung Fu
OP Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,600
Re: Why is daylight WB so blue on the D750?

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

You couldn't shoot that without a ND filter?

Let’s see: using “sunny f16”, at f/2 ISO100, shutter speed would need to be 1/6400s. Max shutter speed on the D750 is 1/4000s.

Adding the ND brought that down 3 stops to 1/800s. So the answer to your question is no.

I'm basing my question on your EXIF settings. You can achieve the same exposure using ISO 50 at 1/3200 second, both of which the D750 supports.

If you looked at the complete EXIF you’d see I’m in manual exposure mode, so the +1 exp compensation is ignored.

Doesn't change anything. Your EXIF shows 1/800s, f/2, ISO100. Those are the settings you used. After removing your 3-stop ND, you would get the same exposure at 1/3200, f/2, ISO50 as I stated previously. ISO 50 and 1/3200 are both available to you.

I read somewhere that extended fake ISO settings like ISO “50” are noisier and have less dynamic range. Is that not true?

Kung Fu wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

You couldn't shoot that without a ND filter?

Let’s see: using “sunny f16”, at f/2 ISO100, shutter speed would need to be 1/6400s. Max shutter speed on the D750 is 1/4000s.

Adding the ND brought that down 3 stops to 1/800s. So the answer to your question is no.

I'm basing my question on your EXIF settings. You can achieve the same exposure using ISO 50 at 1/3200 second, both of which the D750 supports. For greater subject separation, you should consider using a longer focal length. What you're getting at f/2 using this lens is nothing special or interesting.

Yes, I agree with using a longer focal length lens. A 35mm lens does not give a person the isolation of the subject as well as a longer length lens.

You guys obviously don’t shoot street photography.

Street photography is much more about context than subject isolation.

Says who?

You are attempting to do both and are getting mediocre results.

LOL! Thanks for the free photo critique!

Just so I know where you’re coming from, what’s your Instagram account or other gallery where I can see your street photography? My Instagram is @joeltunnah.

If you want to better isolate your subject

I want exactly the isolation I got here. I didn’t ask anyone for advice on how to shoot street or how to isolate subjects. I asked about a white balance issue.

using a longer lens will get you...

...mediocre street photos.

Kung Fu's gear list:Kung Fu's gear list
Nikon D750
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow