Multiple Options for a First Lens paired with a Sony A7iii

Started Jun 26, 2019 | Questions thread
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 936
Re: Multiple Options for a First Lens paired with a Sony A7iii

samdesignsthat wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been gazing at buying my first camera, after doing a bunch of projects off rented material.

The Sony A7iii is the chosen one, as I find myself doing equal amounts of photo and video. The "worst" part about it is: the sheer volume of lenses you can choose from, under a limited budget.

I am somewhat open to anything, but after using Zeiss glass with Canon cameras I am gravitating toward their Batis series.

On the other end, I'm frightened that being locked to a prime as an only lens for a while might be risky. Long story short, I'm absolutely torn and can't make my mind about this.

I can only afford one of the following (or similarly priced lenses): Batis 40mm, Batis 85mm, Sony Zeiss 55mm, Tamron 28 to 75mm.

Would it be better to start with a prime right away or go for the zoom and go for the primes once I can afford them? Would the color reproduction and sharpness of the Batis lenses worth the trade off for a zoom? For those that found themselves in similar situations, or own any of this material, what are your thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Edit I mostly do short films, some medium sized event coverage in both photo and video, and the casual street/travel photography.

Do you always 100% of the time control where you stand and how big your subject is?  If not, go for the zoom first.  The two basic options are the 24-105/4 (My choice.  Even if it's a stop too slow for great indoors photography) and the Tamron 28-75/2.8.  Because that gives you a 24, a 28, a 35, a 50, a 70, and 85, and a 105 in one lens.  
Then figure out where you shoot from, pick up the primes that match that, and if your tax returns are very kind, grab the 16-35/2.8 as more or less the ultimate (albeit slightly heavy) street lens. Especially when paired with the mid-zoom or a couple of fast mid/tele primes (16-35 + 55 + 85 is good).

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow