EE‑1 Dot Sight

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 4,313
I do not recommend a dot sight

I had one (from Olympus) for a couple of weeks but returned it:

1. It's one more thing to carry, along with spare batteries. It may not take up a lot of room but it does take up space. I try to bring as little gear as possible.
  2. It needs to be calibrated and recalibrated with each change in focal length. That's really a pain if you use a zoom. If it's not calibrated properly then it will make photography much more difficult.
  3. It's a distraction from enjoying being outdoors. You are fiddling with gear a lot - these things lose calibration very easily, as you can tell by posts that mention taping the dials.
  4. The return on investment of my time was a net loss.

I tend to shoot with both eyes open, which helps me find my target more quickly. When I go out to shoot I do not want my gear to be an annoyance.

From looking at the pictures I do not see how a dot sight would have made them better.

Try one out but make sure you are comfortable with the return policies. And decide what works for you, not what works for strangers on the internet.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow