Tricky macro photography: what went possibly wrong?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP aryalg Forum Member • Posts: 60
Re: Tricky macro photography: what went possibly wrong?

Andre JF wrote:

If you find macro challenging, thats simply because it IS difficult ... A lot of good advise in the thread. Here is my compact crash course: Exposure; upp your iso, led light or a decent macro flash. Keep steady; use a tripod or monopod, invest in a macro slide, find something to give you support. Lean towards something, use a stick on cross so you can lean on that. I often use a long stick or monopod with one end on the ground and one end on my left knee, I lean to that, and I can adjust the level by using my kne ... Be creatice. Focus: forget AF, macro is all about manual focus. Need depth of field? Oh man, you are in trouble. Macro goes from nothing to too litle DOF ... If you need large dof, try focus stacking. Choosing aperture: small aperture is tempting to get higher dof, however, at 1:1 distance f8 is closer to f16, so diffraction kicks inn early. How to fix? Yep, stacking ... Difficult? Bring the insect, flower or whatever inside to your table top. Some insect can be slowed down by chilling them down. Let them free after the shoot. Early morning is also nice for insects, then they are slow and waiting for ghe heat of the sun. Practice, practice, practice, and then; practice some more ... 😊👍

Fantastic tips Andre. Your shots are amazing. I wish to shoot like these one day.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gaurav
My photos at: https://500px.com/aryalgaurav
www.instagram.com/ggauravaryal

aryalg's gear list:aryalg's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow