Photo-manipulations vs. photography

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 55,845
Re: Photo-manipulations vs. photography

Stephenhampshire wrote:

But all photographs are "doctored" either in camera

No photograph is a perfect image of the scene, but an image is doctored when there is a deliberate effort to misrepresent the scene being photographed.

, which applies the user's JPEG settings (which can now include HDR, multiple exposures to increase resolution, shadow boosting etc etc) or by post processing from RAW. I process photos by selectively adjusting areas to, say, lift shadows. I may tweak light balance to make the photo look more like I remembered the scene to be.

That is not a deliberate effort to misrepresent. That is actually an effort to represent ans best you can remember.

This is before any cloning to remove errant TV arials etc. I did all thiis in the darkroom years ago, digital merely makes it easier. Where you draw the line between "photograph" and "digital art" is a personal decision.

See my statement about deliberate effort to misrepresent.

Which of course makes life difficult for photo hosting sites, photographic competition judges and newspaper editors

The rules should be well stated. Like you cannot switch out the elephant ears. 

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow