Black Terns with FW 3.0

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
peter_jp Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Black Terns with FW 3.0

I switched to the m4/3 system only a few months ago, coming from a Canon 7DII, mainly because of the weight difference. I have been using the Olympus OMD EM1 mkII with the Oly 300mm f4 since last January and already took it on a trip to Costa Rica. I’m quite happy with it so far and now with the new firmware things might even get better.

I decided to revisit the spot, where I photographed some Black Terns a few weeks ago to see if the FW 3.0 update would add anything to the experience. The problem with trying to photograph the terns is that they tend to fly in low to go to their nests, and the background of tall reedbeds makes it very hard for the AF of the camera to nail the focus. Well, on the bird, that is, the reedbeds usually come out quite sharp. The trick, of course was to wait till the tern flew a little higher with only the sky as a background. But reed does make a nice backdrop, so those are the shots I was after. I mainly used the new 5x5 grid as the smaller grids and single point made it almost impossible to keep the tern centered in the viewfinder. I must say I was impressed. The shots taken against the reeds definitely gave a higher number of keepers than the last time.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow