Mitakon 35mm f/0.95 wide open in daylight... Electronic Shutter or ND filter?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
CeeDave
CeeDave Senior Member • Posts: 1,392
Re: Mitakon 35mm f/0.95 wide open in daylight... Electronic Shutter or ND filter?

alekt449 wrote:

akin_t wrote:

I honestly keep forgetting about the electronic shutter on Fuji cameras.

Is there any reason to use an ND filter over the electronic shutter to nail exposure with this wide open on sunny days?

Electronic shutter changes the bokeh which the lens produces. If bokeh is your primary objective try testing side by side if it is relevant for you. Here explained

Interesting. I haven’t noticed this on my X-T1 with manual lenses, and can’t reproduce it, either.

Maybe it is related to how a camera manipulates the aperture at the time of exposure, which it can only do for lenses that communicate with the camera? I can’t see how shutter speed or type *per se* could have any effect on blur. Anyone have an explanation?

(Also, it shouldn’t affect exposure...this really looks like either a hardware problem in automated aperture control, or a firmware/software problem in the e-shutter control. I’m not persuaded that it is inevitable with ES, but I’m open to a persuasive explanation.)

-- hide signature --

Chris
A couple of Fuji cameras and assorted X-mount and adapted primes

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow