M43 for Travel and Larger Prints

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kmrunner Forum Member • Posts: 68
M43 for Travel and Larger Prints

I am looking at options for a travel/street camera that is lighter weight than my Nikon D7100.  I would likely keep my D7100.

I have done a try-before-you-buy with a Fujifilm X-T30 for 3 days, and currently am doing the same with a Sony a6500.  The folks in my local camera store have told me that a Micros Four Thirds system would definitely fit the bill from a size perspective, but said I would not likely be able to enlarge my photos beyond 8 x 10.  They also said I could have trouble taking non-flash photos in low-light situations such as churches.

One of the images I have hanging on a wall in my house is 18"x36" and is tack sharp.  When I went back to look at which camera I used for this photo, I saw it was the Olympus Tough TG-1.  My understanding is that the sensor on the TG-1 is even smaller than M43.  I now wonder if I should be looking at an M43 system as an option for a travel/street camera (I do not shoot a lot of video).  Unfortunately, when I subsequently used the TG-1 as an underwater camera (in 2013), every photo I took thereafter had a haze/fog over it so the camera is not usable now.

Thoughts or comments on the suitability of M43 for travel/street (not too much video)?

kmrunner's gear list:kmrunner's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Nikon D7100 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow