Just took the plunge with 55-200

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Truman Prevatt
OP Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 9,167
Re: Just took the plunge with 55-200

allenhousephoto wrote:

I just picked one up too! I had my eye on the 50-140 for quite a while but in the end I wanted something I can bring on trips, hikes, and bike rides. Weight/size won out in the end and I'm happy with the choice.

I have the 50-140.  I took it on a long hike on my H1 in the Grand Tetons last summer - never again   .  For me the 50-140 is my equestrian sports lens be it race track, eventing, etc.  It is well built, constant aperture and fast for a zoom.  However, it is no lightweight.

Will I take the 55-200 on horseback, nope. I will have my Pro2 with the 35 f1.4 plaster to my check held on by a strap just in case I take an unplanned dismount, a.k.a soil sample and you hope it is sand ranter than soil or at least soil rather than rock.  Riding an animal that evolved as something's lunch and that will often look out for their own hide rather than the rider's can make for some interesting times and at those times the last thing you want is a three or four pounds of metal flying around (most likely smashing you in the face) or landing on it with a thud.  I've been riding horses for about 66 years now and still as comfortable as I am and as good as I am in the saddle - you just never know when a horse eating humming bird might appear.    . I've had a horse stand 50 feet from a grizzly with a cub and they looked at each other and the bear went on across the trail and the horse then went on down the trail - no problem.  Then on the same horse I've had a pis*ed off mockingbird (probably close to a nest) come out of the bushes - and the horse come unglued.  I manage to stay on most of the time - but no one stays on all the time.

One time a Harley rider said to me, "I understand why we wear helmets, but why do you guys." I simply answered, "the bike's brain is yours, the horse has his own brain and often strange things they thing are going to eat them and we sit about 5 feet off the ground - not including throw distance."

But for a hike or bike ride - the 55-200 would fit the bill.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow