60p vs. 30p

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pov2 Contributing Member • Posts: 777
60p vs. 30p

I am new to video. My camera can shoot 4k60p. I read that some people use 60p to produce slow motion videos but that is not my intention. I am thinking to shoot and keep all video in 60p. Most newer TVs and and even old monitors support 60 Hz refresh rates. I am planning to re-encode all videos in H.265, so the file size should not be much higher vs 30p because of how compression works. I saw some YouTube videos in 60p, so some people do this.

Are there any disadvantages to shoot all videos in 60p vs. 30p?

My understanding that the preferred shutter speed for 60p will be 1/120. I have a philosophical question in my mind. If I re-encode my 60p videos to 30p will I get jerkiness because now it's 30p but the shutter was 1/120? I don't know how re-encoders work when doing such conversions. The one I have in mind is HandBrake.

This is for home videos of kids etc. Not pro at all. I want to try to be high(ish)-end now because when kids grow up it will be low-end. And they probably won't know what a "film-look" is, and nobody will shoot 24p in 20 years, I think.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow