RX100M6 used alongside A6500+24mm prime lens

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,517
RX100M6 used alongside A6500+24mm prime lens

There are regular queries here about how an RX100 would compare with an APS-C camera with kit lens. The same question get asked on the E-mount APS-C forum. Generally, the Cyber-shot forum says the RX100 will be better, while the E-mount forum says the opposite. But both agree that an APS-C camera with a decent prime lens will do much better than any RX100.

I decided to put this to the test last week. I visited the Royal Academy of Art Summer Exhibition. This is an annual event, now on its 251st year. It's the world's largest open submission art show, with over 1500 paintings, drawings, sculpture, video and installations on show, most for the first time, and available for purchase (at prices ranging from a few hundred pounds to a few hundred thousand); many had already been sold, marked with a red dot.

Photography is allowed, almost encouraged, but it's sometimes difficult to get a good shot with so many other visitors around. I took my RX100M6 and A6500 with two prime lenses, 24/1.8 and 50mm/1.8. In the event, I only used the former, and regretted not taking my 16/1.4 lens. The expensive 24mm Zeiss lens is reputed to be one of the best APS-C E-mount lenses available. My general rule was to use the A6500 whenever possible, meaning any shots needing a 35-50mm equiv lens. For anything wider or longer, I used the RX100.

All images were shot RAW, processed in DxO PL2 and Viewpoint (used to straighten and square up images of pictures). I used the EVF in almost every case, unless I needed to hold the camera high or low. I generally used P or A modes.

The images are in a Flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157709230857352

See if you think the A6500 images look better than the RX100 images (all exif data is intact). Are they sharper, more detailed or have better colours? Both cameras have Sony Zeiss lenses, but one is a relatively slow 8:1 zoom on a 1" sensor, and the other a fast prime on an APS-C sensor.

You can find out more abut individual images in

https://se.royalacademy.org.uk/2019/artworks

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
Sony a6500 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow