Landscape Tripod Recommendations

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
StephaneB Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Re: Landscape Tripod Recommendations

For maximum 200mm focal length, a Gitzo systemic Series 2 is fine. Series 3 will afford you more resistance to wind and will still serve fine with longer focal lengths.

Focal length is a more important parameter than equipment weight when choosing a tripod. If you get a tripod that is suitable for your maximum focal lentgh, it will always be sturdy enough for the weight of the equipment.

I have used the above mentioned Feisol. It is light and sturdy in terms of weight support, but not nearly as rigid as a Gitzo. I've had photos ruined at Death Valley with that tripod because of the wind.

As others mentionned, FLM is indeed a very worthy competitor to Gitzo. If you don't want to go for the premium models, I think Manfrotto is actually much better than the Chinese Gitzo imitations that are really not in the same league. At all.

-- hide signature --

Stéphane

StephaneB's gear list:StephaneB's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow