ISO 100, OMD-EM1II and firmware 3.0?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP Architeuthis Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Meaning of base vs. extended ISO

The situation is confusing, but I did now some recherches in Internet and think I know now what extended ISO means:

Here, among other decriptions, is an interesting post about the difference between native (and base) ISO and extended ISO: https://petapixel.com/2015/06/24/native-versus-extended-the-science-and-marketing-of-iso-ranges/

Chris Noble was very close to it. The question is just, whether the raw file is affected by the extended ISO setting or only the JPEG is. In other posts/articles, not referenced here, I saw that indeed the raw file can be affected by extended settings, but not always. The way depends on the camera model and manufacturer. In the case of EM1-II people are saying that the digital information is processed towards highlight clipping, improving S/N in less bright pixels (dynamic range at the cost of S/N). So extended ISO remains useful for people that work with JPEGs out of the camera, but not the ones who postprocess raw files...

For my needs I must conclude the extended ISO 64 and 100 are useless. It would need lower ISO in circumstances where I would require lower sensor sensitivity, not leading to output clipping (e.g. having sunbursts directly in the frame)

Hopefully future MFT sensors will provide lower base ISO (but I am quite happy with my EM1-II as it is:-))...

There is also no way that I doubt DxO benchmarks. The only way to challenge them would be to make benchmark by my own and I do not have the means, time and also not the moods to do so (prefer to go diving and make photos)...

Here the interesting description how DxO measures ISO sensitivity (and it is clear from the description and what is said above that extended ISO64 (and ISO100) and base ISO200 in the EM1II are almost the same regarding raw files): https://www.dxomark.com/dxomark-camera-sensor-testing-protocol-and-scores/

Wolfgang

Architeuthis's gear list:Architeuthis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow