Decent new PC for old photographer... Under $1000? Possible?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,118
Re: THIS IS WHAT BOUGHT Re: Decent new PC for old photographer

stanton wrote:l.

Next? A new monitor to replace my 10 year+ NEC 2690WUX. Thoughts? 27" and bigger, please.

Do some research on video tech now.   A lot has changed in the past few years.

MY thought:  27 inch is a nice size, but also kind of an 'in-between' size.  I just got two 27 inch monitors to replace a pair of mis-matched 24 inchers.  I also bought two new 24 inch monitors for my girlfriend around the same time, to replace mismatched monitors she had.  And I also bought myself a new latop, with a 15 inch 2K display.

The 27 inch ones I got ($400, ASUS) were 4k.   The 24 inch ones were 2k.

I have to say that the 2k monitors look great.   The size and resolution are well-matched and easy to read.  Pics look good.   All the monitors I bought were IPS technology and all calibrated nicely with a Spyder5 and (free) DisplayCal software.

The 2k selections were kinda no-brainer.    They were cheap, look good, work well.   The 24 inch ones I bought were only $109 each, delivered from Amazon.

The 4K monitors - a bit of a different story.  I couldn't drive them at 4k without a new monitor and new cables (DisplayPort, ultimately).   I had to replace my GPU with a new one (GTX 1060 with 3GB of RAM).

And when all was said and done, I wish I had bigger 4k monitors, simply because the un-enlarged characters on the screen are too small.  I run text at 150% on Win 10, but there are still times when some program doesn't apply the scaling and I end up with tiny print.   I'd suggest 2k up to 24 inch, and start 4K at 32 inch.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow