Oly/Pen-F lens - wide, fast, small?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nosiesta
nosiesta Forum Member • Posts: 50
Oly/Pen-F lens - wide, fast, small?

Hello all

I'm a Pen-F user and I currently have just the one lens, the Pany 12-32 3.5/5.6. I like it - it's compact and seems pretty sharp, most of the time.

I'm a mountaineering instructor so the majority of my photography is hanging off various bits of rock photographing friends and clients. Usually I'm pretty close to them so most of my shots tend to be taken at 12mm. It's rare that I find the need for anything longer than the 32 end, but it does happen.

I'd like more control over subject isolation, but I get that at a wide angle achieving a shallow DOF is a big ask. I'm wondering if I'd notice a major difference by getting something like the 17 1.8, but then I do also wonder how much I'd miss that 5mm of extra view and the 32mm end.

I guess I'm trying to find the holy grail of lens combos/1-lens solutions that are:

Very compact as they have to be carried while rock climbing 
Very sharp
Fast to give me decent isolation

Perhaps it's a 2-lens solution, with something like the 17mm and then something compact that covers a decent range.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

nosiesta's gear list:nosiesta's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Apple iPhone XR
Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow