EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: FZ1000 10 EX zoom, i.zoom

Jon_T wrote:

dbelling wrote:

Jon_T wrote:

I use the 10MP i.Zoom similar to Gerald noted.

At least with my FZ1000 the overall the 1124mm EFL IQ results seem to look better than the 20MP 800mm EFL i.Zoom.

What I've found to get best IQ from using FZ1000 10MP i.Zoom is to:
• Get as close as you can to subject (bird, etc.) so subject 'fills' the image area.
• Good daylight lighting conditions (to keep lower ISO)
• Use base ISO setting, as lighting conditions will allow.

Cheers,
Jon

Very interesting. If I understand you correctly, you get better IQ by using EX at 10mp + 2x i.zoom than just the 2x i.zoom alone? I wonder why that would be, unless a 10mp image works better with i.zoom than a 20mp image? Thanks for the information.

Regards, Dave

Well the primary reason to using i.Zoom is to have a simple/ easy "in-camera" (no PP required) gain of a longer EFL via narrower FOV; NOT for 100% pixel peeping.

Hence for mainly viewing images at the SAME display or smaller resolutions the 10MP i.Zoom's 1124mm EFL are going to "appear" larger than the 20MP i.Zoom's 800mm EFL.

If you are not going to pixel peep, the resolution of i.Zoom as opposed to that of EZ is going to be wasted with JPEG.  Now with my FZ200, very interestingly the only kind of zoom that is going to be available when you are saving RAW (additionally or solely) is i.Zoom and the saved raw file will contain only the crop that the i.Zoom JPEG has been (or would have been) created from.

So with the raw file, you'll get the "gain of a longer EFL" via additional cropping with the full framing tools of the camera without artificial pixels: only the relevant crop is saved at its nominal resolution which makes it fully suitable for "100% pixel peeping", just that there are fewer pixels.

It's completely arbitrary that i.Zoom is compatible with RAW while EZ and digital zoom aren't since nothing apart from the framing makes it into the RAW file but that's basically the only way to "zoom" by cropping while saving only actual pixels: i.Zoom and raw files.

Whether this peculiarity is universal with Panasonic or just a choice for some models: no idea.

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow