Why does Sony have such a dominant market position in the US market

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 7,346
Re: Why does Sony have such a dominant market position in the US market

sybersitizen wrote:

Aberaeron wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

holashobby wrote:

Based off the US Amazon best seller list, it looks like Sony has a very dominant market position in the US mirrorless market, but that dominance is not replicated in other large markets ... Out of curiosity, how did Sony build such a dominant position in the US market?

While they weren't the first mirrorless cameras they were the first to focus solely on ML while the big names dabbled but found people were more interested in DSLRs.

Now they are starting to focus more on mirrorless, but hopefully that doesn't mean they'll drop DSLRs.

They are NOT solely focussed on mirrorless though. They have the translucent mirror range of cameras which are well established and have plodded along for years. They 'added' mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras to their range and it now way outsells the translucent fixed mirror range of DSLR cameras they offer.

The OP's question is about a perceived difference in Sony's 'dominance' regarding the US mirrorless market vs. other mirrorless markets based on Amazon's sales data. Replies about mirrorless dominance in general don't address regional differences.

Such regional differences observed by the OP might be mainly attributable to Amazon's dominance in the US compared to elsewhere.

That was my answer to Jonsi not to the OP.

The following is my answer and question to the OP and yourself...

I do not believe that there is a big regional difference. Amazon figures. How do they relate to actual sales? Do they show a big regional difference in fact? Certainly in the UK, Sony seem to be selling full frame mirrorless cameras at a prodigious rate at the moment, considering that sales of all cameras are down compared to previous years.

Has anyone actually posted the figures? I know that some figures for Germany have been posted and that previously I believe it was an article on DPR that indicated that Sony full frame sales amounted to more than all other brand's full frame sales added together. If that is the case, someone must be buying them somewhere.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
T3
EXX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow