I thought I'd made my mind up !

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
itsmehere
itsmehere Junior Member • Posts: 27
I thought I'd made my mind up !

We are going on a 13 night safari to Tanzania in Sept. I thought I'd made my mind up to fit my Nikon 80-400G to my D500 and take my Sony RX10 mk4 for everything either side of the reach I have with that set up. There will be early morning & late evening game drives as well as all day drives.

My last Safari was in 2013 to Kenya where I used my Nikon 70-200f2.8 with a Nikon 17tcII on a Nikon D7100. I've just been looking through the shots I bought back from that trip and am still pleased with the sharpness and dynamic range in them. This is the cause of my undecidedness!!

The 1.7tcii fitted to my 70-200f2.8  on my D500 gives me plenty of reach @ f4.8 but now I have the RX10mk4 do I need the t/c ? (I also have the 1.4tcIII I could use which gives me f4)

Currently, I'm leaning towards the 70-200f2.8 fitted to my D500 (105-300 with the 1.5 crop factor but importantly still f2.8) and use the Sony for shorter or longer shots.

In Kenya we often went off road so got quite close to the wildlife but I believe this isn't allowed in Tanzania??

Has anyone been to Tanzania on Safari who could comment ?

-- hide signature --

Nikon D4s, Nikon D500 + some nice glass !!

Nikon D500 Nikon D7100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow