Can't get over how much better Sony has gotten in their color science

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cchen2
cchen2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,220
Can't get over how much better Sony has gotten in their color science

I have done my fair share of critiquing of Sony in the past, but I have to give them credit.  I've been blown away how much better I like the JPG's that my a6300 shoots compared to my old a6000  and RX10.  It just seems more natural, more accurate and flattering flesh tones.  To my eye, better optimization of the the DRO algorithm.   It seems like they have nailed some of that trademark Canon "pinkness" which is very pleasant to look at.  In the past, I would have described the JPG output as pretty accurate, but not always pleasant to the eye.

I had just been shooting RAWs for some time with my old cameras- I had to really, in order to get the kind of output I was happy with.  But now, I mainly shoot RAW+JPG, but increasingly, I am just going with the JPG file- not just because I'm lazy, which I totally am, but I find myself really just happy with the simple JPG output of my camera.  Can I manipulate to get an arguably better file?  Sure I can.  Especially in difficult white balance environments and high dynamic range shots.  But, honestly, these days, the JPG is so pleasant, I find myself just skipping that step.

On an unrelated note, had another good purchase from Greentoe.com.  Got my new 18-135 (replaced the 18-105) for $440 shipped for a new camera, which is $100 less than I would have gotten it from Amazon.  Heartily recommend this service to any who are looking for new camera equipment.  This is my 3rd transaction and they have all gone well.

Anyways, just some random thoughts,
Mike

cchen2's gear list:cchen2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony)
Sony a6300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow