2019 iMac, sluggish performance.

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Patriot Missile Junior Member • Posts: 30
2019 iMac, sluggish performance.

Before I call apple once again, I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or insight to what I'm experiencing.

For the last 7 years i had been using a Custom Mac I had built myself. (i7 4 cores, 32GB)It ran great really no issues with it. However i wanted to upgrade my screen from 2560X1440 since I'm using high resolution cameras. Unfortunately 4k and especially 5k screens have compatibility issues with Custom Mac. i also just felt it was time for a change, and less hassle that can come with maintaining a Custom Mac. Figured I'd go with the real thing.

So, I now bought this 2019 mac, (i9 8 cores 64 GB). My old mac was fast and as I said ran very well. I expected this new one to be much faster. What I'm experiencing is the opposite. Normal usage, browsing the internet etc, its fine, dead quiet. But then for example today just rendering 100% previews in Adobe Bridge the fans are going max speed,(over 2800 RPM) and my computer becomes sluggish when trying to watch a youtube video. (well I normally use Chrome, i tried Firefox, same thing...... but then Safari strangely enough the video played fine.) I never had ANY issues with Bridge and trying to complete simple side tasks at the same time before. If this is slowing down this much generating previews what if i was rendering video? This is just one example however.

It just seems anytime there is anything putting strain on this computer it can't handle it. And its certainly not completing tasks any faster. I've had sluggish performance at times using photo programs like Lightroom, or DXO Photolab. Like moving sliders and a delayed response. Exporting images this will become very unresponsive, like its nearly about to freeze, cant type anything.

As I first said i have contacted Apple a ready about this a few times and they aren't much help. Part of me is wondering if my expectations of an iMac are too high and that perhaps my (on paper) slower Custom Mac is just better ventilated and optimized better. (the thin screen and all that power inside had me worried before i even bought it!) I just dont know. I just know I spent a ton of money over 2X as much it cost to build my custom mac and this runs like garbage in comparison.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or any advice on how I can fix this before i call Apple again.

Thanks

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow