z7 Focus stacking with 3rd party lens

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Erik333333 New Member • Posts: 1
z7 Focus stacking with 3rd party lens

Hi! I shoot product macro photography and came to a dead end using the fucus stacking function on the z7 when paired with my Tokina macro lens. I thought I would be worthy sharing the info as I couldn’t find any answer online nor in the manual.

So far I can observe the following:

• Focus stacking is not available using Tokina 100 F2.8 (but auto focus works fine).
  • Focus stacking works flawlessly using FTZ adaptor + Kenko F mount "wired" extension rings + nikon F mount lenses.

An important note to add is that the "focus peaking image" seems to only work using S (Z mount) lenses.

Most of the time I have to create stacks at my clients location and be super quick and efficient at getting pristine results. It would have been nice to know prior to buying the z7 that I had to trade my macro lens for a native one… It is not a big deal since I had time to experiment and got nice results using prime lenses with extension rings. 
I hope this info will be useful to someone else.
I am satisfied with the functionality though, after using it only a couple of times it turns out to be pretty intuitive and straightforward.

Nikon Z7 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow