EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,349
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

dbelling wrote:

GeraldW wrote:

Dave,

On the FZ1000 if I want maximum reach my preference is to set EX 10MP and then add some iZoom. That works very well out to around 800 mm EFL, and is decent at 2x iZoom for 1124 mm EFL. I keep the EX 10MP and iZoom set up on the C1 Mode setting; but have iZoom on in the regular set up.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am seriously considering the FZ1000 ii and was wondering what I should do in those few instances when I want more than 400mm (efl). Your suggestion is what I was considering. That is, use EX zoom at 10mp and use a bit of i.zoom if needed after that. Thanks.

I use the 10MP i.Zoom similar to Gerald noted.

At least with my FZ1000 the overall the 1124mm EFL IQ results seem to look better than the 20MP 800mm EFL i.Zoom.

What I've found to get best IQ from using FZ1000 10MP i.Zoom is to:
• Get as close as you can to subject (bird, etc.) so subject 'fills' the image area.
• Good daylight lighting conditions (to keep lower ISO)
• Use base ISO setting, as lighting conditions will allow.

Basically 10mp i.Zoom 1124mm EFL IQ quality good enough for posting images for sharing online and small snapshot print sizes.

Some FZ1000 10mp i.Zoom 1124mm EFL images:

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow